Sunday 17 May 2015

3 D Wall Mural

                        
This 3d mural wall was a experiment. My brother asked me to paint a ascent wall in his new center's waiting room. I was bored of stencils and wanted to try something new. I had seen 3d mural somewhere but had no idea how to do it. Even thorough search on Internet was only able to give me vague idea about it. Finally I decided to experiment on one of my home wall. After lots of trials and hard work by me and my father finally it turned out so beautiful that I had to share it with you. 


I wasn't sure what material I should use. Initially I tried various types of plaster of Paris. But it wasn't holding tightly to my already colored wall and every time it was easily removable. Then I used joint compound i.e. wall putty and it worked great. 


You'll need: 
 # joint compount-Dry cement wall putty
 # Thermocol and stencil papers
 # Plastic container to mix putty
 # Spatula
 # wall colors (optional )
 #And a wall

 This is the original wall when I started
                                          
I wanted to do something like this. But obviously those stencils were not available here. So I made it at home.

Draw the trunk stencil on thermocol and cut it. I used thermocol because I wanted the trees to be thick. Then stick the stencil to wall with masking tape. 


Add water to putty in small quantities and mix it well until it becomes the consistency of toothpaste. Then with the help of spatula fill it in the stencil. Keep the finish rough so that the stems will look natural.Let it dry for some time and remove the stencil. 

                                     
At this point I decided to change my background wall color. It would have been easier if I would've thought of it before. I changed it using 2 colors. I'll post the tutoial for it soon. 


For leaves draw the leaves on stencil paper. Cut it and make the stencil. If you wanna see the details of how to make stencil click here.



Stick the stencil to wall with masking tape where you want leaves. Apply thick layer of the putty on stencil with the help of spatula. Remove the stencil immediately when the putty is wet. Stencil the leaves with putty wherever you want them and let everything dry.



 Your 3d mural is ready. You can keep it like this. But I painted the trees with golden color. And finally after lots of trials and errors it turned out like this 

   

I have finished my brother's wall too. I'll post that one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment