Friday 17 May 2013

How To Paint Wall Stencils




There are special colors and brushes available for stenciling but not in India. So I have used whatever I can easily get.  You will require following:

  1. Stencil - you know how to make it. You can see it here
  2. Masking tape - you can get it in paint shop. Don't use sellotape, it will peel of the wall color with it.
  3. Small sponge roller
  4. Color - I have used asian paints royal glitter colors because I wanted metallic colors. You can also use nonmetallic royal colors. For my dining room makeover 200 ml of sample pack was enough. But for my 2nd project which you can see above, I am stenciling with golden color on dark chocolaty wall almost half liter of color is required.

Stick your stencil to wall with masking tape. You can either start from mid-line or from upper corner. I prefer upper corner.

Dip your sponge roller partially in color and take small amount of color. Now roll it in the cap of color jar to spread the color evenly on sponge. Then roll it slowly on stencil. Be careful to cover all the design. Let it dry for 5-10 mins & then repeat again. You’ll need 2-3 layers of color depending on what color you are using. 


Lift one corner of stencil to check & if you are satisfied then remove the stencil along with masking tape. Stick it to the next place in proper alignment & keep painting till you finish your wall.

Based on my experience and mistakes here are some useful tips:

  • Don't overload the sponge with color to avoid sipping it below stencil. 
  • If you are painting in breaks, wash your sponge roller with plenty of water once the day's painting is over.
  • And before painting next time squeeze it with dry cloth and make it sure that your roller is completely dry. Otherwise it'll ruin everything. It happened with me once see.


  • If you are painting on dark colored wall with glitter colors, first paint the stencil with white color and then 2-3 layers of golden or whichever color you have chosen.
  • At corners cover the adjacent wall with masking tape so that you won't accidentally paint on it.
I'll show you my next stenciled wall as soon as I finish it. If you decide to do it  send me pictures of your finished wall at  createawesomethings@gmail.com

1 comment: